Non-Surgical Skin Cancer Treatment
Cure without Cutting?
Patients with non-melanoma skin cancer can (Ebx) opt to be treated with electronic brachytherapy (Ebx). Ebx allows the physician to non-invasively treat the lesion with comparable cure rates to Mohs surgery.
Who is an Ideal Candidate?
- Patients with lesions in cosmetically important areas (face, nose, neck, hands)
- Patients who want to avoid the downtime, risks, and discomfort of surgery
- Patients with lesions in functionally important areas
- Patients with medical contraindications to surgery
- Patients with aggressive tumors, positive margins, or other risk factors after surgery
- Electronic brachytherapy is a technique that uses light energy to precisely target and cure skin cancer.
- Safe and effective alternative to surgery for patients who desire a non-invasive treatment option for skin cancer.
- No cutting, no needles, no stitches, no scars.
- Ideal for patients with lesions in cosmetically important areas such as the face, neck or hands.
- Ideal for patients who want to avoid the downtime and discomfort of surgery.
- Targeted treatment results in excellent cure rates and cosmetic results. Cure rates equivalent to surgery for appropriately selected lesions (97-99%).
- No downtime or activity limitations.
- No need to stop blood thinners.
- Each treatment typically takes about 3-5 minutes.
- Electronic Brachytherapy is usually performed two to three times a week for 4-7 weeks depending on the tumor characteristics and location.
- Two separate tumors may be treated at one time as necessary.
- Treatments are painless.
- There may be a gradual development of a sunburn-like reaction at treated site as treatment progresses.
- Patients will come in or do a telehealth visit consultation with the radiation oncologist who will determine and explain the course of treatment.
- Electronic brachytherapy is covered by Medicare and supplemental insurance.
- Squamous cell carcinoma, Basal cell carcinoma, Squamous cell carcinoma in situ, melanoma in situ/lentigo maligna, Atypical fibroxanthoma maybe treated by electronic brachytherapy.
Ebx for Skin Cancer Provides a Variety of Benefits Including:
- Targeted treatment resulting in excellent cure rates and cosmetic results
- Painless, non-invasive treatment
- No need to stop blood thinners
- Fewer visits compared with traditional external beam therapy
- No downtime or activity limitations
What Should I Expect?
- Treatment is administered under the direction of a board certified radiation oncologist in a comfortable office setting
- Treatment is simple, painless, and quick (typically 3-5 minutes)
- Exact regimen and prescription depend on tumor size, type, depth, patient age, prior treatments and other criteria
- An individualized treatment plan is developed for each lesion
- Treatment is precisely targeted to treat only the minimum necessary area involved by disease
- No cutting, no wound, no needles, no stitches
- No tissue defect, no removal of skin
- Typically minimal treatment side effects
- Excellent Cure Rates equivalent to surgery for appropriately selected lesions (97-99%)