Levulan Kerastick + Blu-U for Actinic Keratoses
What are Actinic Keratoses?
Actinic keratoses (AKs) are rough-textured, dry, scaly, crusty patches on the skin that are caused by long term exposure to ultraviolet light (UV), such as sunlight. If untreated, AKs may develop into skin cancer.
- AKs are often called “sun spots”
- There may be a single AK or multiple AKs
- They can be as small as a pinhead or larger than a quarter
- They can range in color from skin toned to reddish brown
Who Gets Actinic Keratoses
58 million Americans have AK sunspots. Even if you didn’t sunbathe much, years of just doing simple tasks outside like playing sports, walking the dog or driving in your vehicle can add up to a significant amount of sun exposure.
Why Treat Actinic Keratoses?
Actinic keratoses are the most common precursor to skin cancer AKs may be found anywhere on the body that has been exposed to UV radiation. They are most commonly found on the face, scalp, ears and arms.
AKs are considered to be the first step in the development of skin cancer. They have the potential to progress to squamous cell carcinoma (SCC). While most AKs remain benign, a study has shown that the majority of SCC arises from AK lesions.
Since there is no way to know ahead of time which AKs will develop into SCC, it is very important for individuals with AKs to be under a dermatologist’s care.
Levulan Kerastick + Blu-U
LEVULAN KERASTICK + BLU-U is a 2-step in-office (medication + blue light) treatment designed to treat minimally to moderately thick actinic keratosis (AK) lesions on the face, scalp, or upper arms.
A convenient in-office treatment covered by Medicare and most commercial insurance plans
- 2-step treatment procedure that can be completed within 24 hours
- Low downtime
- Administered by a qualified healthcare professional
- Typically no pharmacy visit is required
- No daily medication to apply
- Flexible treatment for a range of minimally to moderately thick AKs on the face, scalp, or upper arms
- Recovery begins when your treatment with BLU-U blue light ends
- No scarring reported in clinical trials
Know Before you Go
Before treatment, it’s important to let your doctor know if you’re taking any oral medications or using any prescription or nonprescription products on your face, head, arms, or hands. There are also a few steps you’ll need to take after your treatment:
- Avoid exposing treated areas to sun or any bright light for 40 hours.
- Wear a hat or long-sleeved shirt to cover treated areas if you go outside
- Expect any redness and swelling to subside after 4 weeks on your face or head or 8 weeks on your arms or hands. The most common side effects after treatment are all temporary. They include stinging, burning, redness, swelling, scaling/crusting, itching, erosion, oozing, and dryness.
Proven Results for Millions of Patients
As the first and only PDT approved to treat the face and scalp as well as the upper arms, forearms, and hands, LEVULAN KERASTICK 20% solution + BLU-U blue light has been trusted and proven for over 20 years.
- 100% clearance – Most patients get 100% clearance of AK sunspots with 1-2 in-office treatments
- Long-lasting results – Most face or scalp AKs remain 100% clear 1 year after the first treatment, with no reported scars
- Treat even more AKs – This treatment covers larger areas of your body than other PDTs, so you can have multiple AK sunspots treated at once
- Focused on safety – The most common side effects are stinging, burning, redness, and itching where LEVULAN KERASTICK was applied
- Covered by Medicare and most commercial insurance plans – Confirm coverage details with your provider and insurance company before your treatment